Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Five Things That the ipad Won’t Do

Based off of what I am reading about the Apple iPad that everyone wants, I have come to the understanding that I already have much of what it will do based off of owning an iPod Touch. Since the first models coming in March will be wifi only (as Touches are), I have noted some frustration as an owner, and having looked for apps to make up for deficiencies. Here are five things that and iPad won't do(Toshiba NB100 battery):

(1). An iPad won't replace a Windows or Mac-based computer. For all of you iPad droolies looking to ditch the computer or laptop for an experience of bliss, figuring that all computing should be this way, you will find yourself frustrated, if not disappointed. PC's have gotten us used to switching back and forth between applications, and in many cases, sharing files between them(Toshiba PA3399U-1BRS battery). My experience with the Touch has produced a sore spot in this area, having to purchase several applications because the last one didn't do everything I thought it would do. A particular pain was the lack of file sharing between applications. Most of you are used to using Microsoft applications, and if you do any special tricks, like using Excel to edit table data in a Word document, stick to the big box or laptop(Dell Studio 1735 battery).

(2). There isn't always an app for that. Apple tightly controls the environment apps run in, and coming from the Palm Pilot world, I found that I was leaving superior applications and settling for serviceable ones. A database program I had on the Palm allowed extensive customization to suit my needs(Dell Latitude E6400 battery). I didn't bother to get its Apple edition, which for $10 was seriously lacking, and a large trail of reviews loudly bemoaned this. The developer cited the restrictive environment Apple required as the reason it could not carry over many of the features that made its software so popular on the Palm, no consolation for those of us who ditched a pretty good Palm in favor of the iPod Touch(Dell Vostro 1710 battery).

(3). No direct hard-drive access. After thirty or so years of accessing C-drives and folders, this has become innate for most of us. While accessing a drive directly may sound geeky, it had the advantage of allowing you to put ANYTHING there for storage. Apples? logic appears sound on this one - if an app can't view or use it, it doesn't need to be there. However, when I am archiving files, I am precisely looking for storage, and nothing else(Sony VGN-FZ11L battery). This is actually a step back to my iPod Classic, which I have attached to my Apple Airport network box, and use the hard drive to wirelessly store files for all of my computers to share. Heck, I can even stream iTunes from the Classic by loading the iTunes software on the PC, leaving the music on the device(Sony Vaio VGN-FZ31S battery).

(4). Play Flash. You really don't know how much Flash is integrated into the web until you get an iAnything. From animated buttons to slide shows to video, Flash powers most of them, and they don't show up on an iPhone or iPod Touch, and they won't show up on an iPad(Sony Vaio VGN-FZ38M battery). I took the opportunity to look up Disney on my computer, then on my Touch. The site knows the difference, shunting my touch to the mobile version. The graphics are beautiful, but they don't come close to the Flash version. You won't be this lucky most of the time, as most sites don't display Flash content at all, leaving wide spaces of website pages white with a plugin symbol in the middle(Sony Vaio VGN-FZ31Z battery).

(5). Running multiple applications. Sometimes you want to check your email while in the middle of typing a letter. If my touch is any indication of how this is going to work, we?ll be back to the era were we hit the save button every five minutes, or at least when we switch applications(Sony Vaio VGN-FZ31M battery). On a Mac, you can type a letter, check your email, play a song, and go back to typing the letter. In the Touch world, and I suspect the iPad world, such multitasking is not allowed. Most applications run one at a time. The music player seems to survive the switch to another app, but if you are responding to an email, you could lose your word processing document(Sony VGN-FZ11M battery).

In many ways, my Touch was a big step forward, albeit some small steps backward. There were some things that were never going to be replicated on the Touch, and I adjusted. My advice to you is to thoroughly check out everything you want to do before you buy this must-have device(Sony VGN-FZ11Z battery). $500 is a lot of money to plunk down on a device that won't adequately replace your current device, no matter how much you want it. If you are looking to run some heavy video editing application or downloading your pictures to this device from your camera, forget it, because that's not what this is for. However, it should do much of what you want it to do in style(Sony VGN-FZ11Z battery)!

No comments:

Post a Comment